Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Surprise party


"December 14, 1992:  No TOPS tonite -- it was icy.
December 15, 1992:  Joni J.'s Cub Scouts came Christmas caroling after school.
December 16, 1992:  Made a cream pie for Howard for his birthday.  Busy Bees had the Christmas dinner at the Stop Inn.  Some of the friends at Schelly's had a surprise birthday party for Howard tonight.  Goldie S. baked an angel food cake.  John and Helen took Howard down for a birthday drink and got in on the party.  I didn't go -- didn't know about the surprise and was afraid of the icy streets."

I wonder if Grandma would have gone to the bar if she knew about the party to begin with.  I just can't see her setting foot in such an establishment.  Not that there is anything wrong with them, I just don't associate Grandma with bars at all.  I did like going to the bar when Walt Bleich had it and ordering Orange Crush or such with Grandpa.  But Grandma never took me there, pretty sure.

I remember caroling, not with Cub Scouts but with Luther League.  It was always fun, even if some kids didn't think so at the time.

For no real reason at all, here's a photo of the "home place".  I think that is what the generation that lived there as kids called it.

No comments:

Post a Comment