Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Rain, rain, rain -- then and now


May 25, 1932 - Ray and I gave the dining room floor a coat of varnish this morning.  We ate on the back porch. Rained real hard tonite about 8 o'clock.  A strong wind also.  It just blew the water through the west windows upstairs and down.  Gave the outside edge a coat of varnish right after supper.
May 26, 1932 - Windy, cloudy and cold today.  I varnished the new congoleum rug, the downstairs closet, and the dining room cupboard.  Florence S. came up this p.m. and told us about some of the damage the storm did last nite.  Ray, Mom, F.S. and I went west of town to see how the railroad track were washed.  Went out to Ola's a few minutes.  Arthur Holt's birthday.
May 27, 1932 - Cloudy and cold today.  We canned 19 pints of rhubarb and pineapple.  Ray finished cutting out the small rugs for the dining room.  Maris, Orville, Meta and Martha were here this p.m.  Stayed for lunch.  I was taken into the Rebekah Lodge tonite.  I think I'll like it.  A.W. came tonite after I'd left.  Isn't that a heck of a note!  Wish I'd been home.

Since I am very late with this, I will let it stand pretty much as-is.  Except to note that the Winside history book says this regarding the rain on May 25:

     A heavy rain flooded the basements of many of the houses and business places -- about two feet of water rushed down Main Street.

Oh, and that it can quit raining at our place for a while.  'Tis a bit of a swamp.

1 comment:

  1. Well at least she has joined the Rebekah Lodge as Daddy suggested some time ago.

    ReplyDelete