Monday, January 27, 2014

A paycheck!


September 28, 1931 - I was going to examine the kids today but George wasn't there so I'm putting it off until tomorrow.  I went to bed early tonite.
September 29, 1931 - I examined the kids today, but I didn't send any reports home with them.  I went to League at Wm. Maas' with the kids tonite.  They asked me to be a member and voted me in also. We played games in a hay-meadow.  I broke my beads and we hunted them by the use of flashlights. Mr. and Mrs. Walker went to a W.M.S. rally at West Point today.
September 30, 1931 - It's raining to beat the dickens today.  It quit about noon.  I went into town with Mr. and Mrs. Walker tonite to prayer meeting and after that I got my first check.  Oh!  What a grand and glorious feeling.

Looking back, it seems Grandma got paid one month after she started teaching.  I know I would have had trouble waiting a whole month to be paid for a new job.  I bet that is only part of her grand and glorious feeling.  Since she said she had always wanted to be a teacher (and was always the teacher when the kids played school), I imagine she had all kinds of reasons for feeling elated.  There is something extra special for getting paid for something you love to do.

Those were sure some nice kids to look for beads by flashlight for a brand-new member of the group.  I wonder how many they found.  I also, of course, do not know what beads Grandma was speaking of, but here is a 1930's necklace.  I like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment