Wednesday, May 8, 2013

River Dance and other stuff


"April 21, 2002:  Tom, Merilyn, Nancy and I went to a restaurant for brunch.  Then to Lied Center to see the River Dance -- a really wonderful program.  Afterward we stopped at Runza and took our lunch back here to eat.  Had a wonderful day.
April 22, 2002:  Called Raymond for his birthday which was last Saturday.  Played SevenUp in the party room tonight.
April 23, 2002:  Mary took me for my shampoo.  Had a new girl -- liked her just fine.  Played Scrabble here tonight with Dolores."

It is funny, but sometimes when I am reading Grandma's words I can distinctly hear her saying some of the phrases.  Other times, not so much.  But with this one, I can definitely hear "liked her just fine." 

I bet they did have a good time watching River Dance.  Me, I get exhausted after watching about two minutes' worth.

I see I have had a lapse in blogging longer than any other lapse so far.  Tsk tsk and shame on me.  I will endeavor to do better.

This very short excerpt from the Winside history book is rather fascinating, I think.  Here are the population numbers from 1890 through 1940:

1890 = 130
1900 = 400
1910 = 450
1920 = 488
1930 = 483
1940 = 451

and from a quick internet search, 2010 = 427.

The green "Winside, pop." sign I remember most growing up said 420.  So, it has had some variances, but has been in the 400's apparently for over 110 years.  My question is, so why do we (I still say "we") not have a  dentist and a hotel like we did in 1940 if the population is relatively the same -- 1940 being the most recent year for which I have history information?  I suppose with automobiles being faster and more efficient, a hotel probably wouldn't make it.  But people still have teeth that need fixing.  The other businesses from 1940 that are no longer in Winside and which are self-explanatory include:  blacksmith, cream station, and harness shop.  The times, they are always a-changin'.

The photo is of two Winside businessmen, William and James Andersen who owned the garage for a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment